Today, there are many options for achieving straighter teeth, a better bite, and a healthier smile. Advances in orthodontics allow us to go beyond traditional braces and offer a wide variety of treatments. At HLS Orthodontics, our skilled doctors are passionate about providing the orthodontic care that not only meets our patient’s treatment goals but also suits their lifestyle. Drs. Andrew Haerian and Jennifer Ludwig have been designing new smiles for over 20 years at our offices in Sylvania, Lambertville, and Maumee.
During your appointment, we will review the below options for braces and assist you in selecting the right appliance to provide you with a lifelong smile. Here are some of the types of braces that our patients consider.
- Traditional metal braces. Traditional braces are still the most commonly recognized orthodontic technique, in which surgical stainless steel brackets and wires are used to straighten the teeth. However, the evolution of braces has made the experience more comfortable for patients.
- Self-ligating braces. While these are extremely similar to traditional braces, ligatures (also known as elastics) are not used to secure the wire. Instead, a specialized clip is used to guide the teeth into place. This means that fewer appointments are needed for adjustment. Although the elastic is no longer necessary for function, we will place colored elastics around the upper front teeth when our younger patients ask. However, this option is only provided when our younger patients keep up with their home care, as the ligatures can collect plaque. At HLS Orthodontics, we have been exclusively using self-ligating braces with nickel titanium wires since 1999.
- Ceramic braces. These are a popular option for older patients and teenagers who have cosmetic concerns about traditional braces. Ceramic braces are made of clear materials, which makes them less visible. However, due to their size and fragility compared to traditional braces, ceramic braces require extra attention. Because of the extra care required, ceramic braces are often placed on the upper front teeth rather than the lower front teeth.
- Lingual braces. Lingual braces place all appliances behind the teeth, making them virtually invisible. Lingual braces require custom-made orthodontic appliances — either brackets and wires or just wires. This customization can often lead to a faster treatment time. Many patients find that lingual braces are more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Clear aligners. Clear aligners, such as Invisalign®, provide maximum cosmetic benefit with optimal treatment results. We can straighten your teeth without the use of metal brackets and wires by using a series of virtually invisible, custom-made trays. A new tray in the series is placed about every 1–2 weeks, although each case varies. Many patients prefer the clear aligner method because they are removable, comfortable, and allow patients to eat, drink, and maintain their daily oral hygiene routine as usual.
Braces at HLS Orthodontics
Whether you are seeking orthodontic treatment for your child or yourself, our greatest goal is to create a healthy, straight, and beautiful smile. If you are interested in braces for you or your child, we encourage you to contact one of our offices in Sylvania, Lambertville, or Maumee to schedule a complimentary consultation with Drs. Haerian and Ludwig. We look forward to meeting you, and we appreciate the opportunity to provide you with the best of care at one of our state-of-the-art facilities.